Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

The Wanted's self-titled EP



     UK’s golden boy band, The Wanted, have racked up a couple of number one hits on the two albums they have released so far. Not too bad. The group is trying to make a name from themselves here in the states after the positive commercial response to their top three hit, “Glad You Came.” On April 24, the band gave their devoted, eager US fans exactly what they wanted: their long-awaited debut self-titled EP, which features seven old tracks along with three new ones. The guys have amazing vocal abilities and perform well as a group, but I do not know if this is the best they could have done.
     The Wanted introduced themselves to the US audience with their second single, “Glad You Came.” Even though the song has become one of the most annoying earworms ever, my love for it has grown after my initial thoughts of a double meaning were confirmed. I felt the song had a dirty touch and I was right. The track was a good first listen, but not the group’s best work.
     Many sources claimed the boy band’s newest single, “Chasing the Sun”, would be the song that would make them an American music staple… but I just do not see that happening. The song is far from my favorite, there is nothing special or unique about it. I find it repetitive and bland. Some of the guy’s vocals are good, but the song mainly points out imperfections.
     If you were one of the few devoted fans, then you would have picked up the band’s first US single, “All Time Low”, when it was released stateside in July 2011. The song came and went quickly without much notice, even though the track hit number one in the group’s home country. Again, the track just seems to follow the same motion, nothing distinctive or memorable.
     One of the unheard tracks, recorded for inclusion in the American EP, was written by One Republic front man Ryan Tedder. “Satellite” is a nice, up-tempo pop track. It is simple with the group saying they “were looking for stars above.” I am sure any girl would melt if the song was sung to them, but I think they played it easy with this effort. Plus, Tedder’s demo is far superior.
     My obsession for The Wanted began when I came across “Lightning”, a song included on one of their UK album releases. The track is probably my favorite thing to come from the boy band. There is something about its use of production; the end result is one catchy pop song that I cannot get out of my head. All the guys sound great and I enjoy the message. Love seems to always be on their minds.
     Love and sex appeal may be the group’s forte but when they try to put out a traditional, soppy, love ballad like “Heart Vacancy,” they fail miserably. The entire thing comes off as a desperate try to follow the same formula that proved successful in the 90s for boy bands. The songwriting is kind of cheesy and the guys sound awkward and bored. One listen is more than enough.
     In between official single releases and the EP’s release date, the group unleashed “Gold Forever” as a promotional single to build buzz for the upcoming project. When I first heard the song I will be honest I was far from impressed. I ignored it for a while. The song however has sort of caught on with me. Is the track amazing? No. It drags on too long, but I can respect the chorus and hooks.
     When “Lose My Mind” comes up I seem to be noticing a familiar trend in composition between of few of The Wanted’s songs. I feel as if I have heard “Lose My Mind” two or three time by now and I found myself uninterested as soon as the pace picked up. The song is not horrible, I feel that if it was earlier in the track list I would have enjoyed it more, but it comes off old here.
     Another personal favorite of mine, “WarZone”, is the darkest we see the group. The subject matter is very adult and mature, nice to hear them sing about heartbreak also. The vocal performances are convincing and the entire song is pretty amazing. There are moments within where I hear music stars. I guess it’s the angst and despair. Bottom line is I think this song is perfection.
     Of all the newly recorded tracks, “Rocket” is by far the best. Available only on the special edition of the EP, the Dianne Warren penned mid-tempo pop song has the potential to become a future single. The writing at times does seem a bit amateur, but the inspirational, uplifting message balances that out. The song was a great way to end the effort. The group saved some of their best for last.
     This self-titled, ten track EP is a good way to introduce yourselves to a group of fans who had never heard of you two years ago, but what about the devoted audience? Besides two of the older cuts, the rest sound dated and boring, there’s nothing really special separating them from other similar acts on the scene right now. The new material will not make them overnight iconic staples like people thought before. The music is good, but I was expecting great. The Wanted are still a young group. Hints of maturity are present, but not much. The effort receives a 77%.

Tracks to Hear: "Lightning", "WarZone", and "Rocket"

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar