Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Beans and Moon Planting?

Posted by Rosie

Beans anyone?

If there is one thing I have learnt about my gardening exploits it is that if I grow something well one year there is ABSOLUTELY no guarantee that it will be a success the next year!  And vice versa of course.  Last year I had an abysmal crop of Broad Beans.  This year I have loads.  LOADS!!


A barrowful of broad beans


So why the difference?  Better weather?  More manure in the soil?  Fewer pests?  Good gardening practices?  Luck?  To be honest I don't know but many a French gardener may have an answer ... the Moon.  Every year garden centres and the like sell books detailing gardening by the phases of the moon.  Different crops (root, stem, leafy etc) should be sown at specific phases of the moon cycle for optimum cropping.  Hmmmm?  Can you tell I am not convinced?  In fairness it might work but not for me.  My gardening and sowing generally takes the following form:

  • Look out of window and see it is raining.  Defer gardening to another day.
  • Look out of window, see it is perfect weather for gardening and realise you have other things you HAVE to do.  Defer gardening to another day.
  • Look at calender and  realise if you do not sow seeds NOW it will be too late.
  • Don wellies, ignore everything else and sow seeds regardless of the weather or what phase the moon is at.

So, possibly, I sowed by beans at the right phase of the moon this year.  I really do not know but I do know we have a lot of beans in the freezer right now.  

I also snapped these pictures from around the garden at Eco-Gites of Lenault this week.  Perfect proof of why I am not an overzealous weeder!  They may be weeds in many books but they are lovely wild flowers here.


Feverfew

Great Mullein

Dwarf Mallow

And finally one for you to guess - does anyone know what plant this is?

Mystery Plant

How is your garden growing this week?  Have you any successes or failures to recount?  Please do let us know and then you can pop over to Manneskjur (she who was Mammasaurus) to see what has been happening in other people's gardens.

Manneskjur

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar